Journal archives for August 2018

August 09, 2018

Starting a new biosurvey project

Since the destruction and development of my beloved Clocktower Field, I've been looking for a new location that Everest (my dog) and I can explore and document. We have another spot that we've been documenting, but as luck would have it, the city has started some utility improvements so our access is limited for now.

Necessity is the mother of invention...
So I reached out to the city Parks Department Manager and picked his brain. He suggested a location in the northern part of the city (where I rarely go). This tiny neighborhood park, Overton Ridge Park, is being expanded to include 11 acres of natural area, he told me. The cool thing is that it used to be the homesite of Dale Hansen (over 10 years ago) so I went to check it out. It's really great looking! Lots of oaks and hickories. Hilly. Only a small section of the old homesite has buildings. Great opportunity for interpretive walks once it's done. Unfortunately, the only surface water on the property is a dried up drainage creek. No consistent water, yet. There are intentions of adding features to keep water on the property to attract birds, etc.

I'm excited to have a beautiful place to explore again. Hopefully the city will use the data I collect to help with keeping the native flora and fauna as intact as possible. And I would LOVE to see other iNatters come visit the location, too!

Posted on August 09, 2018 17:57 by kimberlietx kimberlietx | 10 comments | Leave a comment

August 22, 2018

2 unusual species today!

A great day at ORP! I came across two unusual species today (pending ID confirmation.)


Orange Epipagis Moth (Epipagis fenestralis)
2nd observation in DFW!



Dyscrasis hendeli (Ulidiidae, Picture-winged Flies)
1st observation in DFW, and 2nd on iNaturalist!

(The pictures aren't great, but I think it's enough to get an ID. Special thanks to my dog for "setting out the bait".)

Posted on August 22, 2018 23:49 by kimberlietx kimberlietx | 0 comments | Leave a comment

2 unusual species today!

A great day at Overton Ridge Park! I came across two unusual species today (pending ID confirmation.)


Orange Epipagis Moth (Epipagis fenestralis)
2nd observation in DFW!



Dyscrasis hendeli (Ulidiidae, Picture-winged Flies)
1st observation in DFW, and 2nd on iNaturalist!

(The pictures aren't great, but I think it's enough to get an ID. Special thanks to my dog for "setting out the bait".)

Posted on August 22, 2018 23:52 by kimberlietx kimberlietx | 1 comment | Leave a comment

August 26, 2018

Location Boundary Coordinates Expanded

This week I found out that the project was not including over 300 observations because the GPS coordinates were outside of the boundary OR, more frequently, the accuracy of the observation extended outside of the boundary. For example, if the accuracy is 250m, that observation would be excluded because the original location coordinates extend outside of the boundary. I manually edited all of my observations to an accuracy of 1m or 5m (took a little trial and error) and the project is within 4 observations of what it should be.

PRIOR to change:
568 observations, 363 species

AFTER change:
905 observations, 486 species

Posted on August 26, 2018 23:53 by kimberlietx kimberlietx | 0 comments | Leave a comment

August 27, 2018

New Collection Project is trickier than I thought

This week I found out that my new Collection Projects were not including all of my observations. After posting a support request, @tiwane helped me to understand what was happening. Long story short, if the GPS location of an observation has an accuracy that extends outside of the location, it is not included. For example, if the accuracy is 250m and that circle extends, even partially, outside of the project location borders, that observation would not be included. Tony explains it better in the FAQ.

One of the reasons why this might be happening is because of my camera app location accuracy. I knew that low cell signals would affect the coordinates and accuracy range, but some of my old observations were accurate only to 3km!

(Lakewood Estates Open Space) was missing over 300 observations (1/3 of all observations) because the GPS coordinates were outside of the boundary OR, more frequently, the accuracy of the observation extended outside of the boundary. I greatly expanded the border of the location and batch edited all of my observations near that location to an accuracy of 1m or 5m (took a little trial and error). The project is now within 4 observations of what it should be.

PRIOR to change:
568 observations, 363 species

AFTER change:
905 observations, 486 species

I also noticed this issue with my newest project, Overton Ridge Park. This one was easier solved by just broadening the location to a really wide area, but it is no longer clear what the coordinates of the actual location are.

I'm still watching and tweaking things, and obviously iNat is always making improvements.

Posted on August 27, 2018 00:28 by kimberlietx kimberlietx | 5 comments | Leave a comment